Thursday, February 16, 2012

Something that strikes me as ridiculous

This might not be completely on relationships, but it's something that bothers me...

Now, I've been thinking about this for a little while (mostly because it popped back into my head because of the Grammys) and I have to say, some of the things floating around on Twitter are rather unacceptable.

One of the things that was a big topic was Chris Brown. Normally, I'm not really one to catch up on celebrities. But a lot of tweets were floating around Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and the like.

The tweets in question are the then trending tag/topic, "I'd let Chris Brown beat me."

It baffles me. So many young women (and possibly men or gender neutral/fluid people, too) saying that they'd like someone to abuse them.

In no way is it alright for someone to abuse someone else. Just in general.

And especially in a relationship. Because you love and trust that person. For anyone to lay a hand on you that is even remotely violent is unacceptable.

Regardless of how you may or may not know that person, that's abuse (or domestic abuse, depending on the situation) and should be reported to the police.

In no way should you praise anyone, celebrity or not, for beating up anyone, significant other or not.

People who love each other should not have to stoop to violence to get their point across. Talk it out like adults and if you can't, then there's a possibility that maybe you shouldn't be together.

And, if your significant other is, indeed, violent, try and get them some help and take a break for a while. Sure, be there when they need it, but make sure that you're going to be safe and that they're actually getting the treatment they need to make them a better person so that they don't need to rely on violence.

EDIT: This also goes for someone who is verbally abusive. Though, it a bit harder to report to the police (it might just end up as harassment, but that'd be better than nothing), but if you feel uncomfortable at all, try and talk to them. If you can't (if they just continue to fly off the handle), the best thing is to make sure that you're safe and get out of the relationship.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I did a similar post about this topic in the media! I also heard on the radio that Chris Brown tried to pick up a girl using "I promise I won't hit you" as a pick up line. That just makes me sick. I don't know how his "fans" can still have any respect for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I noticed your post :D

    I completely agree, it's sickening and appalling that he thinks that it's perfectly alright to beat on women and belittle them and make them seem insignificant. It's just disgusting that he can get away with pretty much a slap on the wrist because he's a somewhat big name star.

    And I just don't know, alas. I think that his fans might be a bit misguided, ignorant, abuse supporters, or whatever else... I feel a bit sorry for the fans that thinks that that kind of attitude and the abuse is just perfectly fine :/

    ReplyDelete